Monday, December 05, 2005

Why I Choose Law

"Why law ? Why do you pick Law as your passion..?"
This is a very common question appearing after people meet me and finding out that i am a law student.In Fact, Law is my second degree after a bachelor degree of art.And that makes them even more eager to wonde, why should i(again) study Law.
Law is an academic discipline worthy of study in its own right as well as a necessary qualification for entry into the legal profession. It is a fascinating subject, with a great tradition and dynamic future. Whether you are advocating the rights of the unborn child, weighing up freedom of expression with the right to privacy, justifying the use of force against State sponsored terrorism, or suing an American tobacco corporation, there will be something to challenge your interests.

The Law Degree provides exemtion fron academic stage of legal professional examinations, but more than this it is widely recognised as providing the intellectual, communication and social skills required of the modern university graduate.

But then again, i tell you a little secret; it was all only a sweet potion comes out from my' filthy lips' whenever some eager juniors keep questioning me with their stary spangled eyes full of dream and passion..Who could beat those pretty wishful whinging eyes ?

Now, i tell you the truth, why i chose law as my 'future saving account'. The answer is simply about 'the need for survival'.

In a country like mine (Indonesia) hardly imaginable if a 'common' social scientist able to survive easily purely with her background as a scientist.Not much support you will get from government . And to be very honest, sometimes you have to sacrifice your idealism when you have to work with the business comunity. Moreover, for a stubborn- lazy person like me. :b

I have tried to do many things due to find my Ultimate Posession.I tried working in many Fields, From Government Institution to NGOs. Even when i was seating in the undergraduate class in Jakarta. I worked for women's NGO, Human rights NGO,Public advocation NGO, Social Cultural NGO, from National to International Level NGOs.But then again, I always face the same problem ; Hardly compromizing with the 'structural' matters. Somehow i found, many things become totally different,. when i have to deal with all that matters, mostly when i found that i have to 'sale' me believe about anti 'opression and comodification'. Then Again i decided to quit working with them.

I also Tried to do my own project, after leaving my school.I started working for the sake of children's education.Mostly for those who are homeless and underpriviladge. I was 23,single and living my life like riding over the wild wind. It was one of the greatest time of my life. I enjoy each and every sparkling moment when i saw those bright pretty eyes glowing in curiousity whenever they achive a new things they'd never knew before.Teaching was so amazing..

But again, a new problem appeared.Budget.One day i woke up and found that i have not a single penny in my wallet.At the same time i have to provide some supporting material for my children.Then i called My Dad, asked a helping hand. Of course he transferred me right away, the number i need. Indeed, he always support me, in every way.But when i realize that i have done such things for the last 23 years of my life, i became kind of 'Kicked right on my butt'.Till when ? I have to count on my Dan adn 'rob' him all the time ?HE becomes older day by day. He also need a rest..i tought.

Then The bigger crisis came. I tried to get some donation from some funds.But again, in the end, i have to compromise with all those 'sponsor's orders' and so on.And i had to face the reality that there's demand ion my circumstances, that economically, i have to 'move on'.Go top the next step which i become someone who earn, economically, for me, No longer expecting donation from my parents.

Then i sadly hand over my project to a social club, which financially more capable to run it. And i began to try a new thing. Working, in purpose of economical aim.

In that phase of my life, i found out that working as a lawyer is the best among the worst choice.
I found out that , as a lwayer, you will always have a spare to choose, you still can do it well without compromising or dealing with anything, yet run your job professionally.As long as you walk in the right acts and some other law utilities, nomatter what you do,nobody can call you dark lawyer.Even you can stand behind the biggest Mob of the world, as long as you smart enough to CONVINCE everyone in the courtyard, of course by using all those available law utilities.And..you didnt betray anything..coz the rule is : defend...with all you have as long as it is available in the utilities !


You can work by your own. You dont have to be trapped by 'modern company management structure nor the old fashion torching beaurocrachy.You can determine your own interest.Even when you act as a freelancer adviser, you can survive ; the fee is enough to afford a tall glass of fines starbucks frappe..

The most fun matter about being a lawyer is, at the same time, you can play for money, yet for society !! Want an example? In the day you can work for a big company or a fancy reputated law firm.You will get big bucks from them.You also dont have to feel guilty when you charge them with many zeros in your invoice. And after that, you can dedicate your work to advocate those who are underprivilaged ; violated women, Children, urban poor, and many more, of course WITHOUT asking anything but solving their matters.And just for the record ; It is the main poin of being a lawyer !! Assist anyone on society so justice is accessable for everyone!!
Thus, you become a social worker without 'selling' poverty or any other social problems ;)

Well..Those are some points why i choose 'law'.But, pssst..there is one ultimate point of my reason..:DMy biggest desire is actually being a fulltime mother.And i think..as alawyer, Economically, i will be able to survive when i decide to be a fulltime motrher and part time lawyer..;) he he..believe me..it is FUN.. to 'ROB' those capitalist mob or sparkling celebrities wioth your invoice, after giving a lgel opinion for them once in a week, share it for your underpriviladged friends, and after that you can spend 5 days quality times with your beloved Family...
Hmm..what else in the world a woman need ? ;)

2 comments:

Movanet said...

I have never seen a combination of art and law. it must be very interesting ;)

Ankur said...

beautifully written... ! and very true.. !